Sunday, November 7, 2010

How to sunburn a cow

I've been attending a U3A course exploring ideas about time.  In discussing the introduction of daylight savings (summer) time across Australia David gave the example of an opponent of this change (a Queensland farmer) who thought that the extra hours of sunlight  would 'sunburn his cows'.

Last year I spent time in Greenwich, London and visited the Royal Observatory.  I remember standing on the Meridian line, after finding Hobart marked out, and then discovering that nearby schoolchildren had no idea where Hobart was.  However, the children knew my friend and I were obviously Australian, because they thought we sounded just like the stars of 'Neighbors'.

As I spent a lot of time thinking about time in Greenwich (including reading a book by a scientist, who argued that time did not exist) I have been very interested in David Leaman's course.  It has also reminded me of my visit to an amazing house Spitalfields in London, where Dennis created a home that seems to be still occupied by the original Huguenot owners.  It's an unusual tourist attraction.(http://dennissevershouse.co.uk/)

No comments:

Post a Comment